• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
    Eliminate the booster and go manual?
    maybe - it'd certainly go with the theme of this car
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Power brakes is one of the luxuries you should keep if you're going to drive the car in traffic any. Drove my brother's '67 Mustang with 4 wheel manual drums every other day for a few months. Never again.

That said, my MGB is looking like it's going the way of manual brakes...
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        because it's the manly thing to do

real reason - they're leakers, very bad leakers, GM did power assist on the Corvettes - so you can eliminate the power steering set up, replace the valve with a joint, and have a non-leaking system that transmits road feel a lot better. And manual steering isn't that terrible unless you're in a mall parking lot.
        If you dont want any leaks, then you should get rid of that sbc and turn it into a pedal car. You can changed the valve in the pump to lower the amount of pressure thus reducing the granny's Buick feel to the steering.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• ever considered the flaming river power rack and pinion setup??
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            If you dont want any leaks, then you should get rid of that sbc and turn it into a pedal car. You can changed the valve in the pump to lower the amount of pressure thus reducing the granny's Buick feel to the steering.
            Or a GenIII small block. I happen to know where one is located nearby...

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              ever considered the flaming river power rack and pinion setup??
              yes, and 1300 is something that is not available at this time.

Scott - the power assist that is on the Corvettes is an extra special leaking device - kind of a like a VW, they leak to let you know they're not yet out of oil...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                Or a GenIII small block. I happen to know where one is located nearby...
                you are correct, it's right under the bench - right next to the Corvette.... and the SBC doesn't leak, the chinese oil pan, that leaks a lot

Comment

Scott - the power assist that is on the Corvettes is an extra special leaking device - kind of a like a VW, they leak to let you know they're not yet out of oil...
                  Hey now!

Oh wait........that is correct. Carry on.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

yes, and 1300 is something that is not available at this time.

sounds like my PSD ... yep, still has oil. Only, it won't start when it's too low. Safety feature.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• brakes are bled, and are more predictable. I think they can be better - but for now, I've got other things to do.... like timing

Comment

• For some reason, on the Chevelle, I have always gotten the best results gravity bleeding. Whenever I tried doing it the "helper" way, the pedal was mushy.

Comment

• I did the helper way.... there was still air. That said, if you look at where the master cylinder is in relation to the calipers, there isn't that much vertical distance between the two and there's a deep down then back up... which is why I trusted my mechanic friend when he said it needed to be power bled (Okay, honestly, I trust him because he's trustworthy - but I didn't even skeptically consider what he said - that gravity and friend bleeding would have a different result - because he said it)
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 7, 2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• This was the gauge on the EZ Efi system. It broke from the inside out

yep was leaking fuel right onto my header... yep, God was watching over me again. I got to a car show about 1 hour away, and a guy was admiring my car - then said "do you know your fuel pressure regulator is leaking?" "uh, no, I didn't".... fortunately NAPA was open so 1 - 1/8" plug and I was back to putting fumes out of the exhaust only.... can't wait to hear what EZ has to say.... frightening.

Comment

• Last I checked, fiberglass doesn't like fire. That's actually a very interesting failure mode, should have taken a lot of force to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                                Last I checked, fiberglass doesn't like fire. That's actually a very interesting failure mode, should have taken a lot of force to do that.
                                I'm not an engineer - my diagnosis included "hmm, it's leaking" and "wow, that's weird what happened to the face" then finally "I bet that would catch on fire if I drove it more".... I was trying to avoid the "ooohhh, pretty fire, is that a Ferrari?" comments.

Comment

Working...
                                X