• Show
Clear All

Re: mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

I like this car.

A friend of mine had a 73 Javelin, we pounded alot of road
    with that car.

Comment

That is a BEAUTIFUL car. Great work - you should be proud.

Dan

Comment

Thanks guys.
        This project is getting more fun as I move forward. Its hard to believe last year at this time I was sanding the body and building a rotisserie.

Wheels are here! I had to go home at lunch just to check 'em out.
        I LIKE! Vintage wheel, modern size.
        My little helper was there too, he approved.

I can even see the brakes OK ;)

Comment

Very Nice....I like the vintage look.

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Love those wheels..........

Comment

I was worried about wheel offset as there are only like 10 people with first-gen Javelins in the entire world and no one had yet used this size wheel on any of the AMC forums. The fitment is also made more difficult by way of the strange trunnion front suspension used on pre-70 AMC’s and an aftermarket big brake kit which is likely dimensionally different than the stock NON-VENTED front discs. This kit also required use of a 16” or larger rim.

At any rate, I got the suspension together and it looks like the rear rim dimension are as close to perfect as one can get w/o a custom wheel, about 1.25” from inside the rim to the spring, and 1” from outer wheel lip to inner fender.

On the front I will need a 1/2” spacer (which was provided in my brake kit anyway to clear the caliper). I already also have the long racing-style wheel studs. I have about .4 inch from inner rim to trunnion. I will need to be very careful on front tire size selection to maintain adequate inner spacing, but it looks like all is good… Whew!

Now on to the steering bits… Well, first I need to get home as I am at work now…. SUNDAY!…. having a wrestling match with some Oracle Database backup routines Ughhhh! Then I may have some time to mess with the car.

Comment

Sorry about Sunday work, but great news on your rims and clearances.

As the late, great George Peppard used to say on the A-Team, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

OK guys, I need some opinions, and if there is anything on this forum, it’s opinions!
                  As shown earlier, I just bought these New Torque Thrust Originals and they have ‘as cast’ centers.
                  Should I:
                  A) Paint the centers gloss black. Easy to clean and shiny stuff always looks good.
                  B) Do NOTHING, let the black brake dust settle in the casting and it will get a cool patina look after a season.
                  C) Paint it with some sort of dark gray metallic color (No gloss).
                  D) Paint them green to match the car.
                  Anything else I’m missing??

Comment

paint them or have them powder coated with a clear coat that is satin or gloss - depending on your preference - keep the as cast look - it totally rocks. the clear will keep the look but at the same time allow them to be easily cleaned.

I've used eastwoods "diamond clear" on the last couple aluminum intakes I used - bead blasted them, cleaned them, then sprayed the clear according to the eastwood directions on the can - so far - they are holding up great. This stuff is advertised as for wheels as well.... I'd recomend it.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                      paint them or have them powder coated with a clear coat that is satin or gloss - depending on your preference - keep the as cast look - it totally rocks. the clear will keep the look but at the same time allow them to be easily cleaned.
                      +1

They never really look right to me when they're painted. And the torque thrust originals look soooo much better than the TTII's.

Comment

You're going to have a very sharp car...I look forward to seeing it posted as a CJTV 'car of the week' when you're done.

WRT the Torque Thrust rims, I vote for B. Above all, DON'T PAINT THEM.
                        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I'm here ;D
                          More car updates on the way, doing some more bodywork :-\
                          Thanks Dave for the new place, I enjoy the folks here.
                          Cheers

Comment

Project is moving slowly, but at least it's moving. I have been working on a few parts at the bodyshop. I realy suck at it so it takes a long, long time.
                            No heat in the garage yet, but on the occasional warm up I get out there and screw some parts on.
                            Today I got the car on it's own wheels for the first time in years. No huge deal but a milestone of some kind I suppose.

Comment

Poop, Mike...the pics are all coming up as red X's.

still...good to know it's back on it's own tires.

The paintwork I've seen so far is CLEAN...

Comment

Those pesky red x's should be fixed. :-\ User error
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X