The Hummer brand died the death of a pariah. Initially welcomed as the swollen, badass Army surplus monster that Arnold Schwarzenegger fell deep in love with, by the time of the 2008 recession Hummers were mostly super-boxy takes on GM truck platforms that tried to crib the original HMMWV’s looks. They were the target for eco-terrorists. They would piss off everybody in a Whole Foods parking lot. They looked like the chonky little trucks you buy a preschooler to play with, not an ode to iron-clad, battle-tested masculinity. So Hummer was dead, lying besides the mangled remains of Saturn and the end result of a coup de grâce that left Pontiac in the ditch. That was it, then. GM’s ultimate fuel swiller had died.
So what is this, then…a reanimated corpse? The press release, as follows:
GMC announced today that reservations1 are being accepted for its new supertruck, the 2022 GMC HUMMER EV, which launches with initial production fall of next year in the unique Edition 1 trim.
“The GMC HUMMER EV is revolutionary, defying what the industry thinks of as a pickup truck,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “The Edition 1’s tailored off-road content will make HUMMER EV’s unprecedented capability and zero-emissions a very special proposition for customers.”
Every GMC HUMMER EV Edition 1 will be identically appointed and fully equipped. Each features a white exterior and a unique Lunar Horizon interior, with special “Edition 1” interior badging.
- Extreme Off-Road Package includes 18-inch wheels, 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires, underbody armor, rock sliders, underbody cameras2 — as a part of a best-in-class number of available camera views — and more
- Adaptive Air Suspension with available segment-leading Extract Mode3 capability
- Segment-exclusive 4 Wheel Steer with CrabWalk4 diagonal-drive functionality
- Three-motor e4WD propulsion system (including torque vectoring) with GM-estimated best-in-class 1,000 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb-ft of torque
- GM-estimated 350+ miles driving range5 on a full charge
- 800-volt DC fast charging6 capability. HUMMER EV Edition 1 is expected to have industry-best charging capability at any of the new 350-kilowatt high output public DC fast charging stations7 — the fastest method supported by current charging standards
- Watts to Freedom8 for maximum acceleration capability, including a GM-estimated 0-60 mph in approximately 3 seconds
- The latest version of Super Cruise9, an available driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000 km) of enabled roads, and a new lane automatic changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols
- Continuous damping Adaptive Ride Control
DESIGN & UTILITY
- Industry-leading Infinity Roof with removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the “frunk” at the front of the vehicle
- Power rear drop glass and power tonneau cover
- MultiPro Tailgate
- 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment10 screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information center display
The 2022 HUMMER EV Edition 1 will have a starting MSRP of $112,59511, including destination, leading a range of additional trims to be introduced in future model years. Standard equipment on all, including Edition 1, includes Super Cruise9 capability with three years of service, UltraVision12 with High Definition Surround Vision2, Digital Key, 35-inch-OD tires, Infinity Roof, power rear drop glass, six-function MultiPro Tailgate and more.
The HUMMER EV will be the first full-electric vehicle in GMC’s portfolio and is powered by General Motors’ new Ultium battery system. The battery cells will be produced as part of a joint venture with LG Chem, at a new facility, in Lordstown, Ohio.
Initial production begins in late 2021, at GM’s Factory ZERO Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center14 — a nearly 40-year-old facility repurposed and retooled with a $2.2-billion investment devoted to electric vehicle production. Future production vehicles out of the factory will offer zero emissions.
Performance targets, estimates and capability specifications based on computer-aided analysis and simulation using virtual engineering tools. Estimates may vary depending on model and trim. Additional model and trim details can be found at GMC.com. Actual production model and results may vary.
More information and reservation details are available at www.gmc.com/HummerEV.