Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    now it's time to start pulling the stuff down for the rest of this build

My inner child just started jumping around clapping. Woohoo!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
      Hmm, lucky for me a C3 is old enough for me to leave LHD. I suspect sticking all the steering bits on the right side would make a BBC be a tad tight. I can even pickup a C3 for reasonable money, well assuming I had some money to play with.

it would be tough to build a RHD C3 - the firewalls are not even close to symmetrical. With that said, If I were going to do that task, I'd start by swapping to a rack and pinion - thus freeing up room on the inside of the frame rails and making the task not quite so onerous.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• One of our old Aussie BSers had an early Camaro ('69 IIRC) converted to RHD and done like it was factory. My brain still hurts when I think of it. OK guys - what was his name?

Dan

Comment

• ive seen a setup similar to a "stear clear" box
          (speedway, for highboy roadsters) that left a
          'stub' column on the left, had a new column
          on the right, and gears/chains to link the two.

everything else from the stub column down-
          box, pitman, entire steering linkage-was still
          "normal" LH drive. that seems the easiest way
          to engineer a RH drive out of a LH drive to me.

but then again, ive been hit in the head alot, so....

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            One of our old Aussie BSers had an early Camaro ('69 IIRC) converted to RHD and done like it was factory. My brain still hurts when I think of it. OK guys - what was his name?

Dan
            BlackoutSteve

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• hmmmm.... maybe I should start converting a few to RHD then sell them to our fellow crown criminals. Wouldn't be easy, but it might actually be worth it... hmmmm

Comment

• Thanks Chris!

Dan

Comment

• the only thing interesting about this picture (other then the sweet flare) is this...

I hit the paint with 80 grit sand paper and it didn't even scratch the surface, but that duct tape took off a layer of paint in 10 minutes.

Comment

• plug reading.... at first glance, I thought I had an oil fouled plug in hole number 2.... but no, that's not oil, that's simply carbon.

5 of the 8 plug were cracked, that plug - the fouled one - wasn't cracked... that means that 6 of 8 cylinders were misfiring, not firing at all, or having a low-voltage moment....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

5 of the 8 plug were cracked, that plug - the fouled one - wasn't cracked... that means that 6 of 8 cylinders were misfiring, not firing at all, or having a low-voltage moment....

so THATS the secret to getting that "huge cam" sound in my next motor.
                      duly noted. yay, check another one off the list.........

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                        ive seen a setup similar to a "stear clear" box
                        (speedway, for highboy roadsters) that left a
                        'stub' column on the left, had a new column
                        on the right, and gears/chains to link the two.

everything else from the stub column down-
                        box, pitman, entire steering linkage-was still
                        "normal" LH drive. that seems the easiest way
                        to engineer a RH drive out of a LH drive to me.

but then again, ive been hit in the head alot, so....
                        I've seen them, last I checked it is specifically prohibited here.

Comment

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                          I've seen them, last I checked it is specifically prohibited here.

I've always thought of Australia as the rugged, croc dundee/mad max place then I hear of their vehicle laws and think "what happened?"

Comment

• I was right, dammit, I was right. But before the details....

got the pins for the bellhousing

yes, extra long, not sure that's a good idea but it's what I've got

part of the day was cleaning the engine bay - which happened after the motor was removed

not terrible, but dirty

much better

after it dries, paint...

pulled the pan off to do the mods I need to finish on it

you'll note the engine doesn't have heads on it.... that's because the chinesium head bolts broke at 74 lbs....

I knew it. I knew I should have just bought ARP studs. They're $220 (that I would have had to buy twice because I would have bought the wrong ones first).... The chinese heads are profiler 24 heads that require a bit shorter outside bolts and 1" longer bolts across the top of the exhaust ports... ah well, I'm seriously just one crank away from having a complete 2nd BBC with all the spare parts.... did I mention that I was building another 427? this one is a gift for my dad and his 65 Chevelle SS (no telling).

Comment

• The long pins are what we use on our derby motors... Sometimes there is a 3/8" plate between the motor and bell housing (distributor protector, to keep the firewall from busting the cap off) and when we use the combo without the protector ( rules ban at a venue, usually)

Comment

• I go back and forth about whether I'm going to put a block saver on the motor... matter of fact, I think round 1 will be the stock bellhousing. I have a blow-proof bellhousing, but for the first 1000 miles they will be street miles and relatively calm. I'm most concerned about getting the transmission off since the cross member isn't removable on a manual trans C3.

Also, in other news, I think I just got the entire suspension from an XLR (C6) so I can really take advantage of the wider stance that the flares are allowing....

Comment

Working...
                                X