No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You may remember that in the previous orientation of the pedals, I had made an extension for one of the pedals to actuate the brake master cylinder. Now with the pedals back down under the floor, both need those extensions. So that's what the first task accomplished.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220824_185714.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1325000 When I'm sure that all of this will work, I'll weld both arms and extensions together. Well I'll weld one extension to each arm, not both together. Just making it clear that I sort of known where I'm going...

The next task was making pushrods. And they will be adjustable. I made a threaded adjuster with left and right hand threads. It sure is nice having new sharp cutting tools. First use of one of the left hand dies today.

Name:	20220824_185518.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1325001 Not bad, considering that most of the equipment in the garage is older than me. And here's a complete push rod, well not completely complete. I have to cut it to length and add the ball end once I get those master cylinders mounted.

Name:	20220824_185532.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	1325002 I got to get better at taking pictures...

Comment

• Wahoo! Finally! Got the pedals and master cylinders figured out! Made bits and bobs that I have tacked to get the stuff in place. Going to be due south of my butt. Best place for the master cylinders was under the floor under the seats. Tomorrow's efforts will be to position everything and tack in place, then shorten and thread the cylinder ends of the push rods. No pictures today because I was getting really tired after making stuff, going to a doctor appointment, getting lunch for us around 3, and finishing up on the bracketry. Oh and the telltale sign is when I start dropping stuff and knocking dishes of parts on the floor.

Once I'm at that stage, it's time to quit before I hurt myself. Or drop the camera. Or some other equally bad outcome.

So go and look at picture 3 if you need a picture fix! Stare at picture 3! Savor the composition of picture 3! Picture 3 is your friend! You have never seen a picture quite like picture 3! You may never see another picture like picture 3! I will never post another picture like picture 3! I am done with picture 3!

Comment

• Help me if I am wrong here......
        I know that under the floor pedals have been working for years, But doesn't the reservoir have to be above the wheel cylinders and calipers on disc brakes?
        Won't they back bleed out ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
          Help me if I am wrong here......
          I know that under the floor pedals have been working for years, But doesn't the reservoir have to be above the wheel cylinders and calipers on disc brakes?
          Won't they back bleed out ?
          They sell 2# (disk) and 5# (drum) valves that allow you to mount below and not have the back flow you are concerned about.

Comment

• Groovy !!!
            I did figure that something like that was used.
            But I would have found out after I had puddle of brake fluid on the stall floor ......
            Only to be found Later, after I sailed out into the street with No Brakes......LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

They sell 2# (disk) and 5# (drum) valves that allow you to mount below and not have the back flow you are concerned about.
              Yup! And the Whatever is going to have discs all around, so eventually I'll have a pair of 2 psi residual valves. And if I mess up on piston size calculations for front and rear calipers, I'll also have to install a proportioning valve. So many places for leaks!

I don't know how many of you guys have experience with Swagelok plumbing, but I intend to use it for the hard lines and fittings. All stainless steel and in the quarter inch size, I know from experience that it's good to way over any pressures that a brake system could ever experience. Like over 10,000 psi. In reality, way over that... hey I used to blow stuff up, and it never failed in any experiment. And it's used routinely in hydraulic systems that experience 10s of thousands of pressure cycles.

So what I'm saying is, it's expensive and overkill, but it won't fail and it won't leak! Am I lieing, Dan?

Comment

• Just spent some quality time in the garage finishing up on the pedals and master cylinders. I'll start with pictures.

Name:	20220826_174307.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	1325110 See the nice bracket holding the master cylinders? I bet you can. Can you say tacked in? Now notice that the pedals are a little too far back. So can you say shorten the push rods?

Name:	20220826_172055.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	1325111 That's better! Okay so getting serious, next I'll make a dead pedal to attachto the angled brace on the left.

One of these days I'll learn how to take good pictures and how to post them effectively. Until then you'll have to put up with my bad pictures...
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

• I think you're onto something. Or maybe on something........

Comment

• It's a sickness! I blame it on Ann Arbor! We both survived. We'll get by, somehow! (Left hand to forehead)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1534.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	1325200 See the nice steering column/pedal box assembly? It's gone! Previous pictures show the pedals and master cylinders down under the floor. If I didn't just get another mother f[](ืer of a migraine, I'd have finished up a little bit more and taken a picture or two of the new steering column support. It is really simple, and bolts to the firewall using the same 4 bolts that held the previous assembly in.

But I had to hurry up and put the acetylene cylinder back in the shed, and get some drugs. So maybe later I can get a picture, but I won't promise...

Right now I'm between the aura and the headache. Hopefully I got drugs in time to stop the 2nd part. Oh well... more tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                        See the nice steering column/pedal box assembly? It's gone! Previous pictures show the pedals and master cylinders down under the floor. If I didn't just get another mother f[](ืer of a migraine, I'd have finished up a little bit more and taken a picture or two of the new steering column support. It is really simple, and bolts to the firewall using the same 4 bolts that held the previous assembly in.

But I had to hurry up and put the acetylene cylinder back in the shed, and get some drugs. So maybe later I can get a picture, but I won't promise...

Right now I'm between the aura and the headache. Hopefully I got drugs in time to stop the 2nd part. Oh well... more tomorrow.
                        Sorry these are still an issue. According to the TV the migraine problem is solved but I bet it doesn't work that way in the real world. Hope it clears quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Sorry these are still an issue. According to the TV the migraine problem is solved but I bet it doesn't work that way in the real world. Hope it clears quickly.
                          I'd say they're a pain in the ass, but it's higher up... And when you read the side effects and the efficiency of the new drugs, you'd be like me and not take the new stuff. So an antacid and Excedrin is it still. Or worse case, fiorinol, which has butalbital instead of acetaminophen. And nasty side effects, as you may remember seeing how I reacted to it way back in the 90s.

But I'm much better now... maybe I'll go get a picture or two of the new steering column support?

Comment

• Okay so I went out to the garage and took pictures of the new steering column support. Yeah, feeling flighty right now...

Name:	DSCN1553.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	1325220 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1552.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	1325221 Simple and hopefully the final configuration. We'll see...

Comment

• I'm from the ERA When "Drugs Are Good For You!"
                              According to the TV,
                              There's a Miracle Cure.....Pills, Potions, and Lotions,
                              For Anything That Ales You !!!

I stick with the Old Farm Basics,
                              ​​​​​​​Whiskey and Aspirin

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                                I'm from the ERA When "Drugs Are Good For You!"
                                According to the TV,
                                There's a Miracle Cure.....Pills, Potions, and Lotions,
                                For Anything That Ales You !!!

I stick with the Old Farm Basics,
                                ​​​​​​​Whiskey and Aspirin
                                2 fingers worth... thumb to little finger, palm open and hand stretched as far as possible. Jameson's no ice. But that's me...

Actually don't drink anymore, don't drink any less!

I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem!

What do you call an alcoholic on the wagon? Too drunk to walk!

Shall I go on???

The reality is I really don't drink anymore and haven't for over 20 years. Never know when SWMBO might need to get to medical care. But when I did, woo boy!
                                Oh well I'm much better now...

Comment

Working...
                                X