No announcement yet.

Scott's 1967 GMC 1500 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You could always pull the spring packs apart and put strips of poly between them.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• A smooth riding leaf spring truck...what a concept! The coil spring trucks sure do ride nice.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• A quick junkyard run after work scored me a bed tool box and nearly new exhaust pipes. Mine will be lucky to make it through winter before breaking The tail pipes go all the way under the rear bumper. The old glasspacks are done in, but with the price of pipes these days, I took them. Besides, they were already unbolted from the frame. The tool box came from a 93 pickup. But, right next to it was a '72 that I test fitted into it's bed. That '72 looked to be an old County Roads truck. I was eyeing the tool box in that truck, but noticed it didn't fit right and was jury rigged into the bed with some welding involved.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
          You could always pull the spring packs apart and put strips of poly between them.
          You could, but they'd quickly work themselves out. Best to use poly pads with the peg on them, and a hole in the spring to hold it in place.
          I've jacked cars up until the axle is hanging, and then tap a screwdriver in between the leafs. Then spray a good penetrant or oil in, and repeat for each leaf. Drop it back down and they'll ride much better.

Comment

• I realized I am going to need taller jack stands if I want to hold this truck up by it's frame. My current ones at full extension barely hold the front tires off the ground, if at all.

I will post pics of my exhaust and tool box score later.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• what about buying some cinder blocks and resting the frame on the blocks?
              Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• cinder blocks are not a good idea for holding up cars...big jack stands are....
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  cinder blocks are not a good idea for holding up cars...big jack stands are....
                  10-4 Jim. Having lost a friend under a car I have a strong feeling about this kind of stuff.

Dan

Comment

• Im sorry for you loss Dan

also please dont hate me, but when the trans swap in the wagon was going on, the car was on blocks, though the blocks were under the tires. It was suggested to me by someone else.
                    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• While I do not susgest using cinder blocks, NEVER use them with the holes horizontal
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelty View Post
                        Im sorry for you loss Dan

also please dont hate me, but when the trans swap in the wagon was going on, the car was on blocks, though the blocks were under the tires. It was suggested to me by someone else.
                        That was a LONG time ago but the lesson sticks. Learn from the mistakes (in this case, tragedy) of others. I don't think Jim was more than 20 years old - he was a HS classmate and the cousin of my best buddy. I also know of another guy who died in a similar manner though he wasn't a personal friend - he was a friend of a friend.

It's not about hating you. In fact, it's the opposite. We like you and want you to stick around for a LONG time. PLEASE buy a set of ratchet jack stands - the HF ones are OK and not too pricey. Remember to put them on a stout footing, too.

Dan

Comment

• Cinder blocks are only strong in one position and that is why you never see the holes in a building. In many building the holes in the blocks have rebar run through them and are filled with a stronger mortar than what is used to lay the blocks.

Either way, they have NO business under a car.

ALWAYS use at least 3/4" plywood under jack-stands set on asphalt too.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Now that we've told Scott our horror stories should we give him back his thread?

Dan

Comment

• Another thing against cinder blocks is a woman was running from the cops, went thru a yard, plowed into acinder block house and the car was half way in..wall was no good! .... Back to Jimmy Scott's pickumup!....

Comment

• I always use jack stands as well as a floor jack as back up. I was talking to a fork truck mechanic who lost a coworker that stacked a few wood blocks on one another. Sooo Scott, how are the seats coming along?
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X