No announcement yet.

1969 c-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 months... that's it. Question, is the computer dead or the handheld? mine won't operate a handheld but works just fine with the computer....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      3 months... that's it. Question, is the computer dead or the handheld? mine won't operate a handheld but works just fine with the computer....
      The ecu won't communicate with the handheld or a PC.
      I sent it to Holley, they called today to say I need buy a new unit for the discounted price of $1055.95. Same price as Summit.
      It never tried to boot up. No lights, and communication error from the first power on.
      I was able to flash the handheld to the newest firmware, but no joy for the ecu.

BTW, I've done a lot of research this past week.
      I read two cases where the bus connector had a pin not locked in, causing the handheld not to work.
      A.K.A. Brian
      Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post

The ecu won't communicate with the handheld or a PC.
        I sent it to Holley, they called today to say I need buy a new unit for the discounted price of $1055.95. Same price as Summit.
        It never tried to boot up. No lights, and communication error from the first power on.
        I was able to flash the handheld to the newest firmware, but no joy for the ecu.

BTW, I've done a lot of research this past week.
        I read two cases where the bus connector had a pin not locked in, causing the handheld not to work.
        yeah... know about the pin thing - outside of the intake setback I'm experiencing, there are several issues that are related to that... the handheld, the fuel pressure sensor (and another I can't remember right now).... all I need to check pin inputs (the fuel one is fun, when it's floating in air, it works, when it's screwed into the fuel line it shows error).... Holley tech has been helpful, in fact they sent me a 2nd handheld (well after the warranty) but I'm pretty sure that if I get to the end of the diagnosis and it's the box... Holley will tell me to pound sand.

Key in all of this is "power your system up with the handheld connected within 3 months of purchase" .... we're so used to things working in the aftermarket that this isn't our norm.... and I blame Holley.

Comment

• Seems like I have heard of few guys offering opening them up and repair them on Facebook. I don't remember what group I saw it on.

Sorry to hear you have had bad luck. Knock on wood mine has been ok so far.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Key in all of this is "power your system up with the handheld connected within 3 months of purchase" .... we're so used to things working in the aftermarket that this isn't our norm.... and I blame Holley.
            Darn straight I expect it to work! For the amount of money they charge for a $100 made in China box, they should at least stand behind them.

This is my first venture into efi.
            This experience will shape ALL of my future builds....(The one or two I have left in me.)
            I would rather find an alternative or just stick with a carb for my own peace of mind.
            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
              Seems like I have heard of few guys offering opening them up and repair them on Facebook. I don't remember what group I saw it on.

Sorry to hear you have had bad luck. Knock on wood mine has been ok so far.
              Thanks Russell! UGH Facebook, if you see it again, please let me know.

Holley tech wouldn't even discuss a repair. As a long time repair guy, this is a red flag for me. I know they can get the parts.

When mine gets back I'm going to open it up and have a look.

No need to worry about breaking the seal If they won't stand behind it anyway.
              A.K.A. Brian

Comment

• So sorry this is going on for you. The Volvo now has a Holley EFI in place of the FAST system which sucked. It was installed and tuned at our dyne shop and they're a Holly dealer. No significant issues with it on the Volvo but it came out of the box and was immediately installed and tuned so if there were any issues they would have been addressed and the installer might not have even mentioned them. At any rate, yes, they should support their products.

Comment

Thanks Russell! UGH Facebook, if you see it again, please let me know.

Holley tech wouldn't even discuss a repair. As a long time repair guy, this is a red flag for me. I know they can get the parts.

When mine gets back I'm going to open it up and have a look.

No need to worry about breaking the seal If they won't stand behind it anyway.
                  Forums > Facebook

There are few people that mentioned repair. Probably worth waiting until you get it back. Holley might tell you want failed. That might help those guys determine if they think they can fix it. Names are Danny Kimbler, Frank Heizler, Billy Joe Waggoner.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Darn straight I expect it to work! For the amount of money they charge for a $100 made in China box, they should at least stand behind them.

This is my first venture into efi.
                    This experience will shape ALL of my future builds....(The one or two I have left in me.)
                    I would rather find an alternative or just stick with a carb for my own peace of mind.
                    the problem is they're all equally terrible. Why do you think I had FiTech on my Corvette and now Holley? The sniper system was better then the FiTech (added features) but I was having ignition trouble with that extra feature (ignition) when I swapped to the Terminator X. I swear I should write a book on my experience with the various manufacturers - and who knows, I might.... I've run pretty much all of them. The only 'hole' in my experience is Megasquirt - which is what I'm using to run the Buick wagon, so my thoughts on that one will happen eventually....

anyway, the point is had you bought something else, you'd have probably had trouble with them too....

Comment

• I had great results modifying a factory harness and changing the stock ECU programming. I have some resources I could dig up if you decide to go down that road.
                      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                      79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

the problem is they're all equally terrible. Why do you think I had FiTech on my Corvette and now Holley? The sniper system was better then the FiTech (added features) but I was having ignition trouble with that extra feature (ignition) when I swapped to the Terminator X. I swear I should write a book on my experience with the various manufacturers - and who knows, I might.... I've run pretty much all of them. The only 'hole' in my experience is Megasquirt - which is what I'm using to run the Buick wagon, so my thoughts on that one will happen eventually....

anyway, the point is had you bought something else, you'd have probably had trouble with them too....
                        Thanks for the input! It looks like a lot of people are having lots of problems. My d.o.a. Terminator MAX unit is headed to Texas. We'll see.

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                        I had great results modifying a factory harness and changing the stock ECU programming. I have some resources I could dig up if you decide to go down that road.

Thank you!
                        I have the original harness, it's cut down. I just didn't like the crusty, brittle connectors.
                        I also wasn't thrilled with what little I saw with HP tuners. It seems more than likely, I'll have to buy and learn that next.
                        Time will tell.
                        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Thanks for the input! It looks like a lot of people are having lots of problems. My d.o.a. Terminator MAX unit is headed to Texas. We'll see.

Thank you!
                          I have the original harness, it's cut down. I just didn't like the crusty, brittle connectors.
                          I also wasn't thrilled with what little I saw with HP tuners. It seems more than likely, I'll have to buy and learn that next.
                          Time will tell.
                          At the bottom of my list is to try to make a bench harness for the 411 on the shelf, and try to learn PCM Hammer or LS Droid. I believe that once you buy the 0BD2 to blue tooth. There are no other paywalls and you can make changes.

I am not sure if it's as good as HP tuners but think it does the sameish thing? Please correct me if I am wrong.
                          Last edited by Russell; March 11, 2024, 05:52 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

At the bottom of my list is to try to make a bench harness for the 411 on the shelf, and try to learn PCM Hammer or LS Droid. I believe that once you buy the 0BD2 to blue tooth. There are no other paywalls and you can make changes.

I am not sure if it's as good as HP tuners but think it does the sameish thing? Please correct me if I am wrong.
                            I wish I knew more, but the EFI-digital tuning- ECU world is a place I have avoided until now.

On a possibly brighter note, my DEAD HOLLEY TERMINATOR ECU arrived in TX yesterday.
                            He tells me a part is on order, it should be repaired next week no thanks to Holley.

Russel tipped me off to a facebook group.
                            An electrical engineer named Billy Joe Waggoner has sone great videos with warnings and tips about the weak voltage spike protection in the Holley units and why they won't fix the problem.
                            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

I wish I knew more, but the EFI-digital tuning- ECU world is a place I have avoided until now.

On a possibly brighter note, my DEAD HOLLEY TERMINATOR ECU arrived in TX yesterday.
                              He tells me a part is on order, it should be repaired next week no thanks to Holley.

Russel tipped me off to a facebook group.
                              An electrical engineer named Billy Joe Waggoner has sone great videos with warnings and tips about the weak voltage spike protection in the Holley units and why they won't fix the problem.
                              I hope the repair works and he changes a few fee. So far I have been lucky enough not to need any of the Holley repair guys.

On a side note my neighbor had an electrician come to his house check a few things out and they wanted $3000 to change two outlets and a breaker

I guess those radio commercials are really expensive. Good thing I own a screwdriver and the Lowe's is not that far away. The guy doing the work makes $40 an hour. Say drive time and repair it takes two hours, parts say $25. Two man crew. The cost is $185 even if its $300. 1,000% markup???

Are they robbing people or I am the wrong business?

My dish washer stopped washing. I think I am going to buy a new one. I replaced the water valve it worked for another week then stopped again I would if the new valve is bad, the washer is frying them or is what controls the valve bad. I rather play in the shop than try to fix the dishwasher.
                              Last edited by Russell; March 16, 2024, 07:57 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

I hope the repair works and he changes a few fee. So far I have been lucky enough not to need any of the Holley repair guys.

On a side note my neighbor had an electrician come to his house check a few things out and they wanted $3000 to change two outlets and a breaker

I guess those radio commercials are really expensive. Good thing I own a screwdriver and the Lowe's is not that far away. The guy doing the work makes $40 an hour. Say drive time and repair it takes two hours, parts say $25. Two man crew. The cost is $185 even if its $300. 1,000% markup???

Are they robbing people or I am the wrong business?

My dish washer stopped washing. I think I am going to buy a new one. I replaced the water valve it worked for another week then stopped again I would if the new valve is bad, the washer is frying them or is what controls the valve bad. I rather play in the shop than try to fix the dishwasher.
                                you're missing the tax and overhead math. just because you pay someone $40 a hour does not mean it costs the business owner $40 a hour to do work. To that you have office staff, building costs, insurance, car insurance costs, health insurance costs which easily triple the cost of doing business. Just rough math - it costs me 50 cents of every dollar for just the support.... add a new computer, training, vacation, your idiot employee wrecked a car, 'shrink' - because that same employee goes out with your tools, supplies and truck then does work "on his own time".... who do you think pays for all of that?

I'm sorry, but that notion of 1000% markup isn't even close to true.

I love how you presume the work goes perfectly, what really happens is fantastic employees bill don't get produce income for 2 out of every 3 hours. Fantastic mean ones that only get lost occasionally, ones that rarely make mistakes (and who pays for the mistake? the employee? hardly), who bring the wrong part, have an emergency with their kid so that they cannot do the job (so the customer gets another company to cover for you).... then let's add in the inspectors who couldn't find their adze with both hands and a current CBC.

I'd love to live in your perfect universe, but my suggestion is a good start would be stopping with the lie that they're making anywhere near 1000%.... and we won't even go into what inflation did to a lot of companies.....

Comment

Working...
                                X