Both Chad and I swear like sailors in normal conversation. For better or worse, it’s how we roll. The funny thing is when even the tidiest mouthed hot rodders get to talking about their cars, racing, or some gearhead related topics, it can get sounding weird to someone who doesn’t know any better.
There are lots of terms out there that would make your grandmother slap you across your face even though they are harmless and when used properly, not profane. Here are our picks for the best 11 of them. As usual, don’t be shy about telling us how bad we screwed up.
The Top 11 Gearhead Terms That Sound Dirty, But Really Aren’t
11) Tunnel Ram: Go ahead and proudly tell someone who knows nothing about cars that, “You slapped a tunnel ram on her.” Let us know how that works out for you
10) Ball Hone: “Once I ran the ball hone up and down a few times, it was nice and smooth to the touch.” We just barfed a little in our mouth.
9) Vacuum Nipple: You’re giggling and that’s ok.
8.) Hole Shot: “I got the hole shot and finished ahead of him.” See what’s happening here to the ears of an uninformed, non-hot rodder?
7) Dykes: We’re not even going down this road, but you can imagine what we’re thinking, and so can’t the nice lady in the work boots over there.
6)Petcock: “I was wrenching on the petcock pretty hard and it snapped off.” If a neighbor hears this, you’ll soon have the police knocking at your door.
5) Prolong Lubricants: These products claim to help increase the life of your engine, not the length of anything. Get you head out of the gutter.
4) Sticky Rubber: Good on the drag strip….bad everywhere else.
3) Port Injection: A far more precise and efficient manner of delivering fuel. We think you’ll agree that throttle body injection can result in all kinds of unintended weirdness.
2) Tranny: Yes, we all know what you mean when telling your pals at the bar that you, “Wrestled with that tranny for three hours last night.” But the ladies three feet away that you’ve been scoping out all night absolutely do not.
1) Banged the Blower: This sounds like some type of miscommunication on the set of an adult film. “Ahhh, Jeez. He banged the blower.”