Introducing the newest, and ONLY, 5 speed transmission designed strictly with swaps in mind. This is the Tremec TKX. Honestly, this one has not been easy to keep under wraps. Security was so tight there was paperwork to sign with Tremec, video footage was transported in the dark of night, and no photos were allowed at the filming of the video. But man was it all worth it! This is one super bad ass transmission. I was never a big fan of the TKO, for a couple of reasons. It was smooth when cruising, but get on the gas and go after it and the thing was just not happy shifting at high rpm. And in some tunnels the thing had all kinds of sharp square edges that just didn’t fit in a round tunnel very well. But as an overdrive swap for muscle cars and hot rods, it made them so much more drivable. But this one is better! Way better. I can’t wait to drive something with one in it to test it all out. But until then, watch the video for the details and read all the info below. And as always, the number one seller of Tremecs in the world, our friends at American Powertrain, will make one show up at your door with everything you need to put it in your car, truck, or whatever.
The New TREMEC TKX is the new 5-speed in town. TREMEC has normally sourced their aftermarket transmissions from the OE side, such as the Magnum T-56 and the T-5. This brand new design is made from the ground up as a strictly aftermarket transmission. Designed to fit classic muscle cars and customs, the TKX has a tighter, more streamlined case.
TKX 5-Speed Manual Transmission Features and Benefits
- The TKX has 600 lb.-ft. of torque capacity and is capable of engines speeds of 8,000 RPMs with shifts at 7,500 RPMs. It is available in multiple gear ratio configurations (See chart below).
- Designed for multiple applications with three shifter locations. Compact, end-loaded design provides clearance in most transmission tunnels without floor modifications.
- Increased case strength with three-piece aluminum housing provides outstanding structural stiffness (includes main case, intermediate plate and rear extension). Gaskets at all flanges simplifies installation and eliminates fluid leaks.
- Superior shift-ability through use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings made of sintered bronze and carbon
- Noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) minimized with gear layout to best control stress levels. All gears supported by caged needle bearings to reduce end play on the gears.
- All gears and shafts made from special grade steel (ASTM 4615) providing increased torque carrying capacity.
- Equipped with a high-performance short-throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise, while providing clean, crisp shifts.
- Robust design with internal three-rail shift system and steel shift forks.
- Wide gear width increases gear life and torque capacity.
- 26-spline input shaft with a 31-spline output shaft for added strength.
- Built-in reverse light switch and cruise control safety switch.
- Separate GM and Ford case patterns and input configurations. Integrated GM and Ford transmission mount patterns.
American Powertrain can also provide a mid-shift conversion, as well as a White Lightning shifter. The White Lightning Shifter features over 60 additional shifter locations to help get the new TKX set up for your muscle car, truck or custom project. American Powertrain will also have a direct fit version for Classic Corvettes and Mopars, which feature a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty backed up even further with American Powertrain’s two year warranty. Check out the images below and the new TKX Gear Ratio Chart….
We are now taking orders on TKX now. They will be shipping from TREMEC around Nov. 30th. Call us at 931-646-4836 to get your order in line. Click here for more.
Corvette C1 C2 and C3 version coming soon!