Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loren
    replied
    You didn't screw up, I forgot to tell you to not use the U.S. Post Office. They will not deliver anything bigger than an envelope in my area, they hold it at the facility for a few days and if you didn't for any reason (e.g. out-of-town) get or see their notice to go there and wait in line for it they send it back marked "undeliverable". I have lost many parcels over the years because I forgot to tell people or to not use USPS. Somehow UPS or FedEx are able to get stuff here without any issues.

This is hardly a rural area, the USPS just puts itself out to suck that bad. If I have to even mail an important letter I'll sometimes put it in a box and send it UPS.
    Last edited by Loren; December 20, 2023, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Loren. Just got a box back from the post office, marked return to sender unclaimed unable to forward. It's got the address from the box you sent me the valve covers in. I screwed up somehow. Anyway I need your address so I can send you the plate again. Can you send me a postcard or letter or something else so that I'll have your correct address? Or conversely if you have Dan's number or email, we can get it to me that way. I'm open to other ways as well that doesn't advertise your address to the whole world.

Let me know what works...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Looks good. Can you get a backectomy or something?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Here it is, all toasted and oiled, ready to bolt down.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20231216_132602.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1346593 Here's the stuff that needs to be bolted down to the top next.

Name:	DSCN1889.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1346594 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1888.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	1346595
    All scientifically measured, fettled and waiting for the paint and concrete steps to get done. But this shows how bad the old back is. Took about an hour and a half to get the top ready. And I'm done for the rest of the day!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post

You Seriously Need a "Thinking Chair" and a "Beer Fridge" for some "6 pack Solutions" to
    help with "Over Engineering IT !"
    Personally, about beer 4 the Epiphany hits !!!
    And "It is THAT SIMPLE ! Why couldn't I have figured that out 2 hours ago!!"

Name:	KIMG0296.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	764.2 KB
ID:	1346584
    Only one problem: I stopped drinking 20-odd years ago. Cardiologist recommendation! and as you have assessed astutely and accurately, the little gray cells got better at cogitating on and ruminating over the design of just about everything! To my detriment during delusional deliberations on details and designs.

But my expository writing professor would probably approve...

Now out to the garage and toast and oil the top plank for the lathe. I just got done rounding over the edges, and scraping the top surface to get rid of the waxy stuff put on glue lam materials for water protection. And so the toasting process doesn't get out of control. Pictures later...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    Nah! If you remember, when I came to Ann Arbor a bit of training from the Battelle days came with me (our "friend" Aimie hated it). The phrase that the government's training guy told us was the most important thing he would have to say during the week long program was, "Better is the enemy of good enough"!

And I still remember it 35 years later. And I know I'm supposed to embrace the concept. However it is easy to get carried away with stuff that isn't needed for a street going hot rod. But given that I have a sort of enforced pause in garage time right now, thinking, ruminating, and cogitating, not to mention fomenting future plans, is the heights and depth of the amount of effort that I have been able to muster.

Now what was I talking about? Oh yes, readdressing the earlier design criteria and assessing the pros and cons of each design iteration. The rear suspension design is also under reconsideration. A torque arm and Watts linkage to locate the rear axle. There's room for the design after all, and it is a stronger, better geometry design, with just about infinite adjustability.

So what is the solution? Stop rethinking! Okay so I'm still ruminating over the design of both ends of the car...
    You Seriously Need a "Thinking Chair" and a "Beer Fridge" for some "6 pack Solutions" to
    help with "Over Engineering IT !"
    Personally, about beer 4 the Epiphany hits !!!
    And "It is THAT SIMPLE ! Why couldn't I have figured that out 2 hours ago!!"

Name:	KIMG0296.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	764.2 KB
ID:	1346584

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied

He'd only hit himself in the foot. And with the nerve damage to the back, and no feeling in the feet, he'd NEVER know...
    You could always hire someone to shoot him for you

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

So.... Shoot the engineer.
    He'd only hit himself in the foot. And with the nerve damage to the back, and no feeling in the feet, he'd NEVER know...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Nah! If you remember, when I came to Ann Arbor a bit of training from the Battelle days came with me (our "friend" Aimie hated it). The phrase that the government's training guy told us was the most important thing he would have to say during the week long program was, "Better is the enemy of good enough"!

And I still remember it 35 years later. And I know I'm supposed to embrace the concept. However it is easy to get carried away with stuff that isn't needed for a street going hot rod. But given that I have a sort of enforced pause in garage time right now, thinking, ruminating, and cogitating, not to mention fomenting future plans, is the heights and depth of the amount of effort that I have been able to muster.

Now what was I talking about? Oh yes, readdressing the earlier design criteria and assessing the pros and cons of each design iteration. The rear suspension design is also under reconsideration. A torque arm and Watts linkage to locate the rear axle. There's room for the design after all, and it is a stronger, better geometry design, with just about infinite adjustability.

So what is the solution? Stop rethinking! Okay so I'm still ruminating over the design of both ends of the car...
    So.... Shoot the engineer.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Redesign is fine as long as you enjoy the build more than the ride. I have familiar with analysis paralysis. Redesign / rework is that considered scope creep?
    YUP! Spent too much time employed by the government. Talk about scope creep. The stories I could tell... But that's another story for another time.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Redesign is fine as long as you enjoy the build more than the ride. I have familiar with analysis paralysis. Redesign / rework is that considered scope creep?

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    There comes a time in the course of every project when you have to shoot the engineer and begin production.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	1346528 This is the original way I was going to install the front axle in the Whatever project. Hairpins on both sides with one side fixed and the opposite side free to rotate unbinding the front suspension in roll. And I might be going back to it. I know, just obtained the V8-60 tube axle and fixed its problems. It's wider than I was planning on, however, and would require that I would have to either run spacers on the rear, or different backspacing on the rear wheels.

Spacers are not a prob, the rear axle has grand national speedway hubs with 3 inch long studs. The wheel registers on the center of the drive flange, which has about 2 inches of leeway. It is common for spacers to be used on these rears to fine tune the handling of a racecar, and in some cases, to move the lugnuts out on the studs to get to good threads. Loose wheels eat the lug studs making it difficult if not impossible to get the wheels tight in the same location, so moving the wheel out affords the lugnuts a place to tighten up on.

And different backspacing wheels is doable. However to keep the Rally wheels, I'd have to move the centers inwards, by cutting the welds and moving the centers towards the inside of the wheels. And I just don't feel like it! So back to the tube axle I made.

Now this only affects things a little bit. Sonny now is slightly more defined. He'll get the V8-60 tube axle and the open tube quick change rear axle. And I get to do something to the rear suspension as well. I'm looking at some of the other parts on the shelves for the rear suspension. More to come. Having the back issues recently gave me lots of time to think about the suspension. And that's usually not a good thing...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X