X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Any Off Road Adventures, that you are not on the end of a Tow Strap to the Rendezvous Lot is a GREAT RIDE !!!!
    it's never failed me on a trip... around town? absolutely, it's why I have AAA...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Any Off Road Adventures, that you are not on the end of a Tow Strap to the Rendezvous Lot is a GREAT RIDE !!!!

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    That looks similar to the spot I took the Pig to last week, the back end kept trying to slide off the road, it was pretty sketchy, but still pretty fun.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    today was a snow day
    same normal cast of characters

but we didn't go last year...
    new tires tried out

simply works

last time I took this picture, it was sunnier, today it was better.... but not because of the weather.

made our own tracks

snow wasn't perfect

who cares?

there's new things to tidy up. An oil leak from the steering box, a vibration from the driveshaft and a transmission that is again making noise. Add to this that the radiator seems to be slightly plugged.... and yet.... what a great day

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    now that it's running right, time to retune

and an error code... FiTech is not tolerant at all about electronic noise.... so a shield that keeps the wires away from the distributor is in order

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Patrick, proud of you for getting the help you need. A coworker (Viet Nam vet) had a plaque on his desk that read "If you can't handle your own problems what kind of man are you?" And my response was "About normal." We all need a hand sometimes - and I'm not even a vet.

Dan
    We all get by with a little help from our friends.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Patrick, proud of you for getting the help you need. A coworker (Viet Nam vet) had a plaque on his desk that read "If you can't handle your own problems what kind of man are you?" And my response was "About normal." We all need a hand sometimes - and I'm not even a vet.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Thank you for your support... Sadly 22 veterans take their own lives every day... I personally have been battling my demons for over 30 years, and, have only recently admitted to having PTSD... I am getting help and support through veterans groups and friends like yourself...: https://www.google.com/search?q=22+v...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    so wisely, I wrote the plug numbers on the end where the cap goes.... wrote the wrong number on 2.... want to guess who almost burned his '40 down before he figured it out. Once that was done, all the tuning I'd done was wrong....

that said prayer gave me wisdom to check firing order, then wisdom to get the various fuel and timing settings close enough to make it to the memorial drive by. I kept telling myself (it almost burned twice), then took 2 stops to get it so it'd work at low speed (because timing was so far off).... left at 11:30, should have been there at 11:55. Procession was to start at 12:50, started about 5 late.... thankfully.

Was the only '40 there, there was an FJ...

still, I just wish .... seriously, don't kill yourself, it hurts.... even people you've never met.

(all of this was for a memorial procession for a Marine who ended his life at 34 - there were at least 100 probably close to 200 vehicles who showed up to support his wife and two daughters.....)

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    went with HEI big cap.... mostly because I didn't want to pull the distributor
    as with all good things, the project starts with something seemingly unrelated... removal of the battery access door

needed to disconnect so I made the entire access removeable

I'm pretty sure I had a phasing problem... it's firing at the 'end' of the tab then corroding... voila, my misfire

in unrelated, time to fix this mess

about that breaker.... it works great, unless you're using the winch and you have an alternator that puts out more amps then its rated capacity
    cleaner

locking out the distributor - the wrong way, unless it's Saturday night and you want to use it on Sunday

and it runs, tomorrow - make the wiring better

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    a decision to make...
    use the big cap HEI or the small cap HEI from the TBI system.

so the random pluses and minuses

big cap - I can always put the chip back in, hook up the vacuum, and untie the mechanical advance
    down side is simple.... I have to do that list

small cap... big hole to fill when I remove the chip and replace it with 2 wires.
    Also it's more of a pain to wire and reinstall the coil
    in that vein, the only place for the CDI is above the distributor (needs air flow).... which means I could have electric field issues - if the coil is moved (small cap), that isn't as much of a problem... that said I've never had trouble with a 6A or 6AL....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    slight miss... the fix

the real culprit

that said, the ignition will now be completely controlled from the EFI computer

of course all fixes start with solving another problem... this case, you can't hear it when the glove box is closed....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    On Sunday, I'm taking part in a drive by for support of a family whose Marine couldn't beat his demons. That means I need to have a way to attach a flag to show his family that we do care.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    got the Suburban ready for a trip, but that's boring stuff... since I didn't have a lot of time for other stuff today - figured I'd do some mirror work
    the parts

I put these on initially... was easy and cheap

weld the adapter on

think it looks better with its stock mirrors

then onto brake stuff.... the line lock worked for awhile, now, not so much.... maybe go more manual?

and I really need to resolve the transfer case brake.... so this handle should do it

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    the other choice is use wheels like I have on my Colorado or Suburban - which have inner lips to keep the tire on the bead. They work really well.To keep the hub caps, you'd probably have to fasten them somehow to the wheel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X