Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    On Sunday, I'm taking part in a drive by for support of a family whose Marine couldn't beat his demons. That means I need to have a way to attach a flag to show his family that we do care.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    got the Suburban ready for a trip, but that's boring stuff... since I didn't have a lot of time for other stuff today - figured I'd do some mirror work
    the parts

I put these on initially... was easy and cheap

weld the adapter on

think it looks better with its stock mirrors

then onto brake stuff.... the line lock worked for awhile, now, not so much.... maybe go more manual?

and I really need to resolve the transfer case brake.... so this handle should do it

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    the other choice is use wheels like I have on my Colorado or Suburban - which have inner lips to keep the tire on the bead. They work really well.To keep the hub caps, you'd probably have to fasten them somehow to the wheel.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

1) you can make beadlocks out of your steelies
    2) remember these words "how can you tell they're real beadlocks?" beadlocks aren't (usually) legal. There's a couple companies that have made legal ones, but homemade ones and mine aren't 'legal'....
    I'm not super worried about the legality of it, as you imply, it's easy to say they're fake and have the conversation end there.

Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Speedway. $43 per wheel. And keep your hubcaps.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...xoC79EQAvD_BwE
    I said hubcaps, but really, they're wheel covers. I'm not sure I'd be able to run a beadlock, and retain them, but I really love the look they give the old truck.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
    How do you like the beadlocks? I've been considering a set for my Suburban, but I'm not sure I can handle not having my stock 1988 hubcaps anymore...
    Speedway. $43 per wheel. And keep your hubcaps.

This bead lock kit welds to 15" steel wheel. One piece steel ring with attached threaded inserts. Complete with mounting hardware and 3/16" thick weld-on steel ring. All threaded nuts come pre-attached. Winners use these on both the inside and the outside! Item Details Bolts, inner & outer steel rings included

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
    How do you like the beadlocks? I've been considering a set for my Suburban, but I'm not sure I can handle not having my stock 1988 hubcaps anymore...
    1) you can make beadlocks out of your steelies
    2) remember these words "how can you tell they're real beadlocks?" beadlocks aren't (usually) legal. There's a couple companies that have made legal ones, but homemade ones and mine aren't 'legal'....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 10, 2020, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I'm so glad I bought that tire machine... $200 well spent. it doesn't work well, and hefting these wheels onto it hurts.... but so much easier
    last wheels.. done

and, of course, the last wheel - that bead broke the first push... all the rest I'd have to spin the wheel on the machine to get it to go (this machine is also very used, maybe even used up)
    I like it, and it rides SO much better

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I really didn't intend to get a bigger tire.... I know, poor me

breaking bolts

assembled

installed

I got 1 done in 3 hours.... thank the good lord for the tire machine I bought... what a life saver (and it's trying to kill me because these are not easy to toss onto the machine
    but first the error part of trial

no picture of throwing it on upside down for a first fail

for those who wonder how I balance these... 12 oz of daisy bbs

it works quite well

this is number 2 mostly done.... need bolts

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by StillBobHolmes View Post
    Man, if I had to have things running within 2 years...I'd have a bunch of things running. LOL

My son was 15 when we bought the first Alfa (father/son project wherein father figured out son was not a car guy rather quickly) he's now almost 31.
    I can make you feel lots better. In 1979, my dad bought a Sunbeam Alpine that he is converting into a Tiger. Converting... since 1979. I was 13.... Freiburger may have been talking about him when he quipped that paint is the death of a project. The car is fully painted.... suspension is done... I've even offered to finish it for him but I think his pride says 'no'.... which is fair since it'd be far better if I completed it (and not yellow)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 2, 2020, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StillBobHolmes
    replied
    Man, if I had to have things running within 2 years...I'd have a bunch of things running. LOL

My son was 15 when we bought the first Alfa (father/son project wherein father figured out son was not a car guy rather quickly) he's now almost 31.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Looks very purpose built, and no nonsense looks too! Nicely done!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    this kind of wraps up this installment

best of all, it is solid

and a posterity picture

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Without stirring the pot too much - I need to point something out. Any of my builds, I get bored pretty easily, so I need to muscle through the doldrums of the build... usually that's the 2nd day of disassembly until I paint the frame. Anything between those two points can be the death of a project. Once I get the frame painted, somehow it trips a mental switch that keeps me working on it for another 3 years..... the only other 'thing' is it must be drivable in 2 years... outside of those two things - I sometimes short cut so I keep the time frame. The box I just completed and the tire carrier are two such things - I tempenanteded them knowing to circle back wouldn't be too terrible. I bring this up because it works for me - and perhaps it can work for you too.....
    Anyway, carrying on
    Narrowing in on marking this 'done' the latch

spare fuel

still have no idea where the plate is going

paint

there is still question about the traction mats - I'm thinking of buying a snowboard/ski rack then adapting.... also, if moving happens, I'll be using this as my ski vehicle

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Metric tires for a 4x4.. well I never heard of such a thing... I really need to cut back on the Vice Grip Garage - Derek talks like my grandpa did (he was from Minnersota as well)... and I'd mimic him... this is not good. ah well....

But they were $100 less than bias ply tires and they're both Toyo AND radial.... I'll try to completely recoup my cost by selling the current tires - likely I'll get 1k out of them.... all for better mileage and better drivability. 385/75 16 ....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X